Savjani and Co takes pride in its dispute resolution lawyers who are known for their proficiency, diligence, integrity, and dexterity in dispute resolution processes. The dispute resolution team focuses on having matters resolved as efficiently as possible while safeguarding the Client interests. Our litigation team has undoubted expertise in commercial litigation, employment law, tax law and many different areas of specialization. Our dispute resolution services include mediation, arbitration, and litigation. All the members of our litigation team are licenced legal practitioners with authority to appear before Subordinate Courts, the High Court of Malawi, and the Malawi Supreme Court of Appeal.
Top Dispute Resolution Matters
- We represented Prudential Holdings Limited, a minority shareholder in a publicly listed company, Illovo Sugar (Malawi) Limited in a claim for oppression and/or unfair prejudice by the company and/or the majority shareholders and/or the directors of the publicly listed company. The matter involved issues of disclosure, compliance, fiduciary duties, treating company as a wholly owned subsidiary, arm’s length transactions and pricing.
- Represented Press Corporation Limited and Ethco in employment matters taken out by the latter’s former General Manager and Financial Controller. It was an important matter involving senior employees and raised novel areas of employment law.
- We are handling a matter where the tax authorities are demanding MK1 billion (currently equivalent to approximately US$4,081,632,65) in reassessments.
- We represented Malawi Telecommunications Limited in a claim for interconnection charges. The matter was subsequently settled out of court.
- Represented a Respondent company before the Commercial Court in a matter where a petition was filed to wind up a company on the just and equitable basis. The Court held that the petitioner should sell his share to the respondent.
- Advised very senior officials of the Malawi Government in relation to defamation allegations arising out of disposal of assets by a statutory body.
- Represented Nicholas O’Dwyer Limited in an arbitration matter arising out of an engineering contract involving provision of technical and professional staff and undertaking of surveys and site investigations.
- We represented GOAL Malawi Limited in the High Court of Malawi (Commercial Division), Blantyre in an action where the Plaintiff was claiming, inter alia, damages for breach of construction contract, retention sum due and payable in excess of K10,000,000.00 and value of materials left at the project site. We obtained an order of stay of proceedings and referred the matter to arbitration in line with the terms of the Agreement.
- We defended Southern Bottlers (Malawi) Limited (SOBO) in the High Court of Malawi, Principal Registry, Blantyre, in a product liability claim.